With poo on the podium, Bill Gates talks toilet technology

BEIJING — Placing a jar of feces on a pedestal next to him, billionaire philanthropist Bill Gates made a plea Tuesday for the safe disposal of human waste as he kicked off a “Reinvented Toilet” Expo in China. “You might guess what’s in this beaker — and you’d be right. Human feces,” the former CEO […]

The Critical Role Of Culture In Technology Transformation

As the speed of technological innovation continues to increase and as competition to deliver better, faster, and with less down time continues to be a deciding factor in who wins and who loses in the software game, it is important for organizations to take a research-based approach to digital transformation. Over the last five years, […]

Chinese ‘gait recognition’ technology IDs people by how they walk

BEIJING — Chinese authorities have begun deploying a new surveillance tool: “gait recognition” software that uses people’s body shapes and how they walk to identify them, even when their faces are hidden from cameras. Already used by police on the streets of Beijing and Shanghai, “gait recognition” is part of a push across China to […]

A game plan for technology companies to actually help save the world

Smartphones, computers and social media platforms have become indispensable parts of modern life, but the technology companies that make them and write their software are under siege. In any given week, Facebook or Google or Amazon does something to erode public trust in them. Now could be a moment for the industry to make good […]

Bitcoin futures volatility sets record low

Divergence between equity and crypto volatility is a bigger story for crypto pundits, says Cboe analyst Bitcoin was trading marginally lower Monday, but remains in its recent narrow trading range. In Monday trading, a single bitcoin BTCUSD, +0.20% was fetching $6,393.63, down 0.6% since 5 p.m. Eastern Time on Sunday on the Kraken crypto exchange. […]

Here’s what happens when you save just $25 more each month

Adding even $5 to your savings each month adds up in a big way This one goes out to everyone who’s struggling to save. (That is, most Americans.) You can save really small amounts of money — like just $25 a month — and still end up with an impressive nest egg, according to financial […]

Amazon may split its massive HQ2 in two separate cities

Surprise plan could ease talent, housing worries Amazon.com Inc. plans to split its second headquarters evenly between two locations rather than picking one city, according to a person familiar with the matter, a surprise decision that will spread the impact of a massive new office across two communities. The driving force behind the decision to […]

Port terminal up for sale

The Canadian government is looking to sell a 90 per cent stake in Ridley Terminals Inc., a federal Crown corporation. The remaining 10 per cent stake will be transferred to the Lax Kw’alaams Band and the Metlakatla First Nation at the close of the sale. Ridley Terminals operates on Ridley Island in Prince Rupert. It […]

1,000s still without power

Tens of thousand of people across the Maritimes were still without power early today and some schools were closed after the region was hit by powerful gusts and torrential downpours over the weekend. New Brunswick bore the brunt of the storm Saturday and into Sunday, with NB Power initially reporting more than 94,000 customers in […]